Saturday, October 20, 2012

Future Featured Guest



I just watched Morgan Spurlock's Comic Con Episode IV: A Fan's Hope and I feel as if I just got off a roller coaster. It is an excellent film. I was impressed with the pace, tone, and the unabashedly truthful nature of the film, and watching it evoked so many different emotions! It was nice seeing some of my friends in the film, but it was even nicer seeing the dreams comes true and the realization potential of the artists and costumers that use Comic Con as a proving ground for their talent. 

There's a part of me that feels like I am separate from or too cool for that culture, but there's an even bigger part of me that knows the truth. I am exactly who the folks in the film are talking about in that I aspire to become a (bigger and more influential) part of the industry side, and because I do genuinely feel a sense of welcome, belonging, and acceptance at comic book and sci-fi conventions that I don't feel anywhere else. I've never been to Comic-Con in San Diego but at Comikaze Expo (the best Con I've ever been to) and to a lesser extent at WonderCon, LBCC, and other shows I was among like-minded people, and I most definitely felt understood.


Because of the crowds and the difficulty getting a ticket I've always said, "I'll go to Comic Con when they invite me." And yet, I'm going to Comic Con next year. I was approved for my Professional badge and Vigilante Project got a table in the Small Press section. Despite my delusions of grandeur and my fantasy of being a featured guest in Hall H, I realize that this is in fact the mecca for Geeks, Nerds, and Fan Boys and I want to make a pilgrimage. Besides, I have books to sell.

If you haven't seen the film yet, do so asap. While you watch it, I will be busy perfecting my craft so that someday I will be invited as a featured guest. Hall H, are you ready for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment