Friday, October 19, 2012

From the Sarlacc Pit





All right, I admit it. For years I chased money instead of chasing my passion. Call it fear, cowardice, or an unplanned pregnancy but I traded in my Thundercats t-shirt for a suit and tie, and dove head first into cubicle hell. Years later my son is now old enough to wipe his own ass, and I desperately wanted to like the person that I saw staring back at me in the mirror. So I started writing again.




It started out innocently enough. I grabbed a Syd Field book and a copy of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Screenwriting” and attempted to get my Sorkin on. Next thing you know I’m writing and creating comic books and loving it! I made myself available for freelance work and in came the requests for financial articles (makes sense given my experience) and sales pitches thinly disguised as editorial pieces. Are you concerned with the depreciation of the US Dollar? Read one of my articles and you will be.

Because of this pesky thing called hunger I am still forced to punch the clock. However now I am looking for work with a creative outlet. Hey, I've been laid off twice in 3 years and I figure I have nothing to lose. I’ve gathered the Dragonballs, and I’ve made my wish. 

I imagine my competition is steep. There are probably dozens of recent grads with bulging portfolios and new suits from Men’s Wearhouse, but have they ever pulled a Boba Fett and climbed out of a cubicle shaped Sarlacc pit to freedom? I have! My life experience, determination, and new sense of direction make me feel like I can take on the world. Cue the music from “8 Mile” because this is my shot and I’ll do whatever it takes to make the most of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment